Each year in December, J Turner Research publishes a year-end summary of the flagship ORA Power Rankings. Click here to view the 2022 Year-End Summary. The rankings highlighted in this summary include the 2021 Elite 1% Properties; 2021 Top 100 Student Housing Properties; 2021 Top 10 Student Housing Managers; 2021 Top REITs; Top 10 Properties in 50 states and the District of Columbia; and division rankings for the Top 10 of the 2022 NMHC 50 Managers (Division I) as well as the Top 25 Management Companies in Divisions II, III, and IV.
Established in 2013, the Online Reputation Assessment score (ORA) has grown to become the multifamily industry standard to measure and benchmark a property’s online reputation. Each month, we track the online ratings and reviews of 130,000-plus properties nationwide across multiple review sites and ILSs. The national average ORA score in December is 62.75.
Multifamily Review Volume in 2022 Grew by 14%
At the end of 2022, we recorded 14.3 million reviews across 122,828 properties. The total volume of reviews as of November grew 14% from 2021.
The market share of the dominant review sites and ILSs based on the total volume of reviews (14,353,059) as of November includes Google as the leader with a 34% share, followed by ApartmentRatings.com at 23% and Modern Message at 13% market share.
Which Companies Won the Top ORA Honors in 2022?
Elite 1% 2021 (published in January)
- The George in Fort Worth, Texas, managed by Hanover Co., with a 99 ORA. A total of 1,564 properties earned the Elite 1% distinction.
Student Housing Winners (published in February)
- Top 100 Off-Campus Student Housing Properties for 2021: One on 4th in Stillwater, Oklahoma, managed by Cardinal Group, was the top student property for 2021 with a 98 ORA. This ranking was based on tracking the online reputation of more than 2,600 off-campus student housing properties nationwide across relevant review sites and ILSs.
- Top 10 Student Housing Managers for 2021: Dinerstein Student Housing took the top spot with a 74.02 ORA. The top 10 student housing managers by ORA for 2021 was determined based on the Student Housing Business list of the Top 25 Managers of Student Housing for 2021.
Top Multifamily REITs for 2021 (published in March)
- The top REIT rankings include private, public listed, and public non-listed REITs published by NAREIT. The top REIT for 2021 was Preferred Apartment Communities with an 85.02 ORA.
Top Properties in the 50 States and D.C. (published in April)
- Washington, D.C., was the leading “state” among apartment residents for the eighth consecutive year with an average ORA of 71.21. The top property in D.C. was Berkshire 15 managed by Berkshire Communities with a 98 ORA.
2022 Division Rankings (published in May and July)
- In May, we featured the Division I winners—Top 10 of the 2022 NMHC 50 Managers. While MFE featured the top 10 managers, J Turner Research highlighted the top 25 on our website.
- In July, we featured the top 25 managers for Divisions II, III, and IV winners. The unit count for each of these divisions was determined based on portfolio data from Smart Apartment Data in June. We introduced these additional divisions in 2019 to extend the ORA Award recognition to management companies of all sizes.
In January, we will announce the much-awaited Elite 1% properties for 2022. Stay tuned.
About the ORA Power Rankings
Developed by J Turner Research, the ORA Power Rankings are a monthly, independent ranking of apartment properties and management companies based on their Online Reputation Assessment (ORA) scores. A property or management company is not required to be a J Turner Research client to qualify for this ranking, which is published by J Turner’s media partner Multifamily Executive. To learn more or to request your ORA score, visit www.jturnerresearch.com/about/what-is-ora-score.
The ORA score is an aggregate compilation of a property’s ratings across various review sites and ILSs. Each month, J Turner Research monitors the online ratings of more than 130,000 properties nationwide. Using a statistical model, a single score based on a scale of 0 to 100 is assigned to each property. This score serves as a benchmark to compare a company’s individual properties and portfolios nationally, regionally, and against the competition.