The historic Post Wilson Building offers Dallas a little slice of Paris. Opened as the Wilson Building in 1904, it features hints of Paris' legendary Grand Opera House, with its Second Empire-style architecture and arched windows. According to the Dallas Historical Society, the building was named after J.B. Wilson, owner of the Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway Co.
In its early incarnation, the building–shaped like an "E"–was considered one of the premier commercial structures in Dallas. The building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats of Fort Worth and served as the home of the Titche-Goettinger department store until 1926, states www.dallasarchitecture.info. During this time, the building's upper office floors were also occupied by various businesspeople, such as doctors, oilmen, and lawyers. For many years after that, the building was home to H.L. Green, a five-and-dime store chain in the U.S.
In 1999, the Wilson Building was acquired by Atlanta-based Post Properties, a developer and operator of upscale multifamily apartment communities. Post converted the building into 135 luxury loft apartment homes, and it officially became known as the Post Wilson Building.
Many of the landmark's features were preserved, including the dramatic antique grand staircase. Some of the structure's loft-style amenities include hardwood floors, 13- to 20-foot ceilings, track lighting, snake lighting, and white cabinets with silver detailing in the kitchens and bathrooms. The apartment also features other luxury goodies such as a rooftop terrace with a mist deck and grill, marble countertops, Jacuzzi tubs, and marble walk-in showers.
–Abby Garcia Telleria is a freelance writer in Costa Mesa, Calif.