2008 MFE Awards
Merit: Adaptive Reuse
Submitted by: JKR Partners A former U.S. Naval Asylum built in 1827 by William Strickland, named an historical landmark in 1971, but unused since 1976 has found new life as market-rate condos just outside of downtown Philadelphia.
Designed by JKR Partners and built by Toll Brothers, the 78-unit Naval Square project preserved the existing façades, restored existing roof and rear verandas destroyed by fire in 2003, and made excellent use of the buildings cellular floor plan and existing common areas.
Condos range in size from 450 square feet to 1,200 square feet. A restored rotunda houses a community room, fitness area, and central gathering space.