Many economists seek to define where we are in the current market cycle. But rather than study supply-and-demand equations, they might want to scan the following pages for evidence that we’ve reached a pinnacle, a freeze-frame affording a glimpse into a quickly moving industry.
This year’s MFE Awards winners provide a panoramic snapshot of an industry at its peak. Each of our 28 project, program, and service award winners is outstanding in its own right, representing a collection of individual achievements in creative solutions, consummate design, savvy financing, and development challenges overcome. Yet, if you gathered all of the winners together, took a step back, and searched for a common thread, it would be this: The multifamily industry is about much more than just housing.
While homeownership is often dubbed “the American dream,” these awards celebrate the stuff dreams are made of: smart placemaking that improves the quality of life for residents, a restless re-examination of the word “community,” and a never-ending attempt to elevate our own little corners of the world into better, more beautiful places.
Executive of the Year
2014 Executive of the year Bruce Ward has built Alliance into a model worthy of emulation.
2014 MFE Rising star Chris Herman Helps Charlotte Shine a little brighter.
2014 MFE Award Winners
- High-Rise Apartment: AVA High Line, New York
- Mid-Rise (7 to 11 stories): The Victor, Boston
- Mid-Rise Podium or Wrap: 77H, Washington, D.C.
- Low-Rise Walk-Up: Manhattans at Central Park West, Irvine, Calif.
- Community Service: SMC Food Pantry, Vienna, Va.
- Adaptive Reuse: Else Warehouse, Minneapolis
- Affordable Housing: Rene Cazenave Apartments, San Francisco
- Best Use of Technology: InfoTycoon, Rosewell, Ga.
- Apartment Renovation: Chalmers Square, Detroit
- Marketing & Advertising: Riverstone Citizenship: Passion Required, Dallas
- Best Reuse of Land: Arlington 360, Arlington, Mass.
- Green Housing: The Millennium Uptown, Houston
- Mixed-Income Housing: The George, New Brunswick, N.J.
- Senior Housing: Lofts at McKinley, Phoenix
- Senior Housing: Residences at Wingate, Needham, Mass.
- Student Housing: The Retreat at State College, State College, Pa.
- Student Housing: West 22, Kennesaw, Ga.
2014 MFE Merit Award Winners
- High-Rise Apartment: Via6, Seattle
- Community Service: PhillySeeds, Philadelphia
- Mid-Rise Podium or Wrap: VUE, Minneapolis
- Marketing & Advertising: Sedona | Slate, Arlington, Va.
- Adaptive Reuse: Temple Art Lofts, Vallejo, Calif.
- Adaptive Reuse: Mount Vernon Mill No. 1, Baltimore
- Affordable Housing: Buffett Place, Chicago
- Apartment Renovation: Avalon Marina Bay, Marina del Rey, Calif.
- Green Housing: The Edge, Allston, Mass.
- Green Housing: Heritage Senior Residences at Columbia Parc, New Orleans
- Senior Housing: John C. Anderson Apartments, Philadelphia