It’s no secret that development doesn’t come easy these days. Crippled capital markets combined with softened operating fundamentals have kept even hardened veterans out of the dirt. Still, a lack of multifamily supply coupled with almost undeniable demographics point the way to an industry recovery over the next decade, and pessimists looking for signs of optimism need not look further than the winners of the 2010 Multifamily Executive awards. By embracing creative financing, amazing architecture, sustainable construction, new technology, and more, the winners have demonstrated that a strong will, coupled with vision and innovation, can result in noteworthy success. What’s even more impressive is that these projects and initiatives aren’t just go-to, tried-and-true strategies that take the easy way out of navigating tough times. From the redevelopment of an abandoned hospital at the top of Staten Island to new Hollywood design aesthetics to high-tech marketing gadgets, this year’s winners show that no goal is impossible.
Executive of the Year
With a level head and a calming leadership style, Executive of the Year Susan M. Ansel steers Gables Residential through the rockiest tides of the downturn.
The Bainbridge Cos.’ marketing guru is named MFE’s inaugural Rising Star of the Year.
2010 MFE Award Winners
- High-Rise: Avalon Towers Bellevue, Bellevue, Wash.
- Mid-Rise: Park & Market North Hills, Raleigh, N.C.
- Low-Rise: La Belle at Hollywood Tower, Los Angeles
- Student: The Retreat at Lake Tamaha, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Senior: Ocean Breeze Apartments, Santa Monica, Calif.
- Military: Joint Base Andrews, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
- Mixed-Income: The St. Aidan, Brookline, Mass.
- Affordable: Mission Walk, San Francisco
- Apartment Renovation: The Vistas at Saddle Rock, Aurora, Colo.
- Adaptive Reuse: Park Lane at Sea View, Staten Island, N.Y.
- Green: Ironhorse at Central Station, Oakland, Calif.
- Best Reuse of Land: Los Vientos, San Diego
- Marketing and Advertising: Wave’s Z Islander
- Community Service: Giving Back
- Best Use of Technology: UDR Augmented Reality
2010 MFE Merit Award Winners
- High-Rise: Acoma, Denver
- High-Rise: The Millennium at Metropolitan Park, Arlington, Va.
- Mid-Rise: 555 YVR, Walnut Creek, Calif.
- Mid-Rise: Alexan Carlyle, Alexandria, Va.
- Low-Rise: Avalon Irvine, Irvine, Calif.
- Low-Rise: Austin Ranch Phase V, The Colony, Texas
- Senior: The Retreat at Dorsey Manor, Marietta, Ga.
- Senior: Jericho Residence, Landover, Md.
- Student: Ringling College of Art & Design - Housing Building, Sarasota, Fla.
- Student: Wave's Z Islander, Bryan, Texas
- Affordable: Diamond Apartment Homes, Anaheim, Calif.
- Affordable: Metro Green Apartments, Stamford, Calif.
- Mixed-Income: Seigle Point, Charlotte, N.C.
- Mixed-Income: Walnut Square Apartments, New Orleans
- Apartment Renovation: Broadstone Hollywood Tower, Los Angeles
- Apartment Renovation: The Wellington, Arlington, Va.
- Adaptive Reuse: Royalton, Miami
- Adaptive Reuse: TwentyOne01 on Market
- Military: Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes, Fort Drum, N.Y.
- Green: Metro Green Apartments, Stamford, Conn.
- Green: Circle at South End, Charlotte, N.C.
- Marketing and Advertising: Live Zensationally, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Marketing and Advertising: Sequoia Delivers!, Company-wide
- Community Service: Sequoia: Sharing the Experience, Company-wide
- Community Service: New Orleans Redevelopment Efforts, New Orleans
- Best Use of Technology: Voice over Private Internet (VoPI) Solution, Company-wide
- Best Use of Technology: Hand Scanner, Company-wide
The 2010 MFE Awards were selected during a day-long judging session in Washington, D.C. The judges were (clockwise from left): Shabnam Mogharabi, editor, MFE; Rohit Anand, principal, CAX; Greg Bonifield, partner, Woodfield Investments; Christina Steeg, senior vice president of marketing and training, Simpson Housing; Eileen Lee, vice president of environment, National Multi Housing Council; Rachel Azoff, managing editor, MFE; John McManus, editorial director, MFE; Les Shaver, senior editor, MFE; Chris Wood, senior editor, MFE; Dave Woodward, CEO and managing partner, The Laramar Group; and Stephanie Williams, vice president of new business development, Bozzuto Management Co.
Click Here for the official press release of all the winners.