This year, Multifamily Executive received a record number of award
nominations—nearly 300 in all—in 19
categories, which illustrates not only the health, but also the vision and creativity of an industry firing on all cylinders.
Yet, while we pored over a record amount of entrants, the following pages are not filled with a record number of award winners. In fact, a few categories came up completely empty, though there were plenty of very good entrants from which to choose.
Those goose eggs are a testament to the careful deliberation and discerning eyes our judges bring to this process. The entries in those categories were indeed very good, but they didn’t go above and beyond.
Many other industry programs blindly fill a quota, awarding gold medals even when nobody finishes the race. Not us. We consider our roles as judges a covenant, something of a sacred trust. We would be doing the industry a disservice to do anything less.
So, congratulations to the winners, who passed a tough test. You had a great story, and you told it well. And for those who fell short, it wasn’t by much: Some slight adjustments and we’ll see you on the website next year.
Big thanks to thought leaders in the industry who served as judges:
- Rohit Anand, Principal, KTGY Tysons Corner
- Jim Butz, President and CEO, Jefferson Apartment Group
- Eileen Lee, Vice President of Energy and Environmental Policy, National Multi Housing Council
- Julie Smith, President, Bozzuto Management Co.
- Christina Steeg, Senior Vice President, Marketing and Training, Simpson Property Group
MFE editors on the panel:
- Jerry Ascierto, Editor-in-Chief, Multifamily Executive
- Linsey Isaacs, Assistant Editor, Multifamily Executive
Executive of the Year
Julie Smith’s great foresight, coupled with her trademark warmth, has turned Bozzuto Management into one of the industry’s best firms—and made her MFE’s 2013 Executive of the Year.
Rising Star of the Year
Billy Pettit Jr.
Pillar Properties’ Billy Pettit Jr. proves being bold can have a huge payoff, including becoming the 2013 MFE Rising Star of the Year.
2013 MFE Award Winners
- Affordable Housing: Cedar Gateway Apartments, San Diego
- High Rise: Post Carlyle Square, Block "O", Alexandria, Va.
- Mid-Rise Podium or Wrap: AVA H Street, Washington, D.C.
- Mid-Rise: 7th and H, Sacramento, Calif.
- Green: Heritage Oaks, Oakdale, Calif.
- Adaptive Reuse: Harrison Station 300 Somerset Street, Harrison, N.J.
- Mixed-Income: Expo Apartments, Seattle
- Affordable Housing: Long Beach Senior Arts Colony, Long Beach, Calif.
- Low-Rise Walk-Up: Arista Uptown Apartments, Broomfield, Colo.
- Best Reuse of Land: Mission Apartments, San Diego
- Senior: Parkview Living, Los Angeles
- Apartment Renovation: Presidential Towers, Chicago
- Adaptive Reuse: Hamilton Square North, Jersey City, N.J.
- Adaptive Reuse: Randolph Tower City Apartments, Chicago
2013 MFE Merit Award Winners
- Apartment Renovation: The Brockman Lofts, Los Angeles
- Senior: Saint John’s On the Lake: South Tower, Milwaukee
- Student: University House Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
- Mid-Rise (Seven to 11 Stories): Union SLU, Seattle
- Adaptive Reuse: Loft Five50, Lawrence, Mass.
- Affordable Housing: La Valentina, Sacramento, Calif.