After acquiring about 60 percent of the Lehman Brothers’ Archstone portfolio, Equity Residential is estimated to have about $36.2 billion in assets, according to a list compiled by Green Street Advisors.
Mid-America Apartment Communities was ranked No. 9, but that will change once the acquisition of Colonial Properties Trust is finalized.
If this list were ranked in terms of units owned, Aimco would be second between EQR and AVB, and Camden Property Trust would come in fourth, just ahead of MAA.
Top 10 Apartment REITS by assets
1. Equity Residential, $36.2 billion
2. AvalonBay, $24.6 billion
3. UDR, $11.8 billion
4. Apartment Investment and Management Co., $11.0 billion
5. Essex Property Trust, $9.6 billion
6. Camden Property Trust, $9.2 billion
7. Home Properties Inc., $7.3 billion
8. BRE Properties Inc., $6.2 billion
9. Mid-America Apartments, $4.9 billion
10. Post Properties Inc., $4.4 billion
Lindsay Machak is an Assistant Editor for Multifamily Executive. Connect with her on Twitter @LMachak.